“Dear Aunt Edith,
I AM SO MAD. My mom won’t let me dye my hair (unnatural colors). She said it would look, and I quote, ‘look some,’ okay I’m gonna have to stop quoting for a second, and I’ll finish, ‘and that won’t be appropriate for school if you go to school with ten different colors in your hair.’
All I wanted to do was dye the ends purple. And she’s going CRAZY about it. My hair’s pretty dark, too, so it would hardly show! Please give me advice on how to convince her to let me.
Tsk-tsk. Sounds like an awfully UPTIGHT mom. You need to be able to have a conversation with her. Ask her these things:
– Would it be okay if I dye just the ENDS of my hair?
– Can I dye it a more natural color, maybe reddish?
– Can I get it if I pay for it myself?
– Can I get it when I’m (thirteen, fourteen, fifteen…)
– Can I try it with temporary dye for a couple days? On the weekend? Then we’ll see?
Talk to your mom about how a little dye won’t be inappropriate in school. Talk about kids at school that are good role models but dye their hair.
In the end, your mom might not give in, but you’ll have to respect her opinion. Just remember, when you’re older, you’ll be able to do WHATEVER you want, so it’s all good.
Whatever you and your mom agree to, respect her opinion, because that’s how it goes with moms.