Here’s a list of five great TV shows that you should get into if you’re bored (presented in no particular order – but best for last *insert wink*).
- Heroes – Created by Tim Kring; 2006-2010; Four Seasons; One Spinoff Show
- This show is great mix of science fiction and drama. It’s about people who discover that they have special abilities, superpowers if you will. The show’s first season is very strong, but unfortunately the quality decreases season by season. Also, Heroes Reborn recently came out and is a spinoff show of Heroes.
- Once Upon a Time – Created By Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis; 2011-Present; Five Seasons So Far
- If you enjoyed the classic Disney movies about princesses and fairies when you were little, you should try out this show. Its about a woman who comes to Storybrooke, Maine, where fairytales are real. It takes a darker and more modern spin on the typical “damsel in distress” love stories. While I haven’t watched the entirety of the show, my best friend has and believe me, she has filled me in on a lot more than just the basics.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. – Created by the almighty Joss Whedon; 2013-Prearsent; 3 Seasons So Far
- If you’ve seen The Avengers, The Avengers 2, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, etc, then you’ve probably come across the mysterious agents of SHIELD at some point. If you want t get a closer look at what goes on behind the secretive government agency, this show is for you. Another science fiction/drama show.
- Empire – Created by Danny Strong and Lee Daniels; 2015-Present; 3 Seasons So Far
- I haven’t seen this show, but the other Julia has and she really likes it. According to the all-powerful IMDb, “a hip-hop mogul must choose between his three sons who are battling for control over his multi-million dollar company, while his ex-wife schemes to get what’s hers.”
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Created by the almighty Joss Whedon; 1997-2003; 7 Seasons, One Spinoff Show, Many Comics
- The oldest, longest, and best show on this list. Buffy is a show for everyone to enjoy. A teenage girl is Chosen to be the Vampire Slayer, or “she who hangs out a lot in cemeteries,” which means she must battle the forces of evil with her friends and her Watcher, Giles. This masterpiece is a mix of mostly drama, as well as some horror, tons of comedy, sometimes mystery, and so much more. While the first season is mildly outdated, the six other seasons are worth watching, rewatching, and rewatching again. This show will make you laugh almost as much as it will make you cry. It also has a spinoff show called Angel.
I hope you’ve found at least one new show to watch if you’re bored. What are your favorite shows? List them in the comments!
-Julia M (aka the biggest nerd alive)